Friday, April 19, 2013

On Assignment in the Florida Panhandle

I would like to think that most photographers are idealists and positive people in general. The act of taking a picture is a form of conversation and  a dialogue in any form is always a hopeful act. With all the tragic events in the past few weeks, it is hard not to become cynical. I have been taking pictures for more than a decade now, mostly strangers, most of them hesitant when seeing a camera. I genuinely love people and I would like to think that most people I photograph sees this about me and I eventually walk away with a portrait. Cynicism is my enemy. This is Jubel and his wife Sandy. She works as a waitress at the Ouzts’ Too Oyster Bar in Newport Florida in the panhandle. It is known as a biker bar. She told me that the area is called the forgotten coastline. It is called Ouzts’ Too after the original owner and because the first Ouzts’ burned down in an arson fire.  I walked into the bar and I see a confederate flag hanging over the pool table. The sight of this flag anywhere always gives me pause. Fast forward to the end and I am taking portraits of everyone in the bar and talking about life, motorcycles, and photography. Jubel, Sandy and everyone else at the bar helped me come back to center, showed me plenty of hospitality and openness to combat the cynicism that has crept in the past few weeks. They invited me to a biker rally happening the next day, a benefit for a biker friend who passed away recently. Good People, there are plenty of them out there. - Cedric Angeles


No comments:

Post a Comment